Khalistan
Image Credit: Screengrab from video tweeted by Naomi Canton/Twitter/Jaiveer Shergill
Indifference to Indian diplomatic mission's security unacceptable: India conveys strong message to UK
New Delhi/IBNS: India has conveyed a strong message to the UK authorities by summoning British Deputy High Commissioner Christina Scott to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Sunday night following an attack by pro-Khalistani protesters on the Indian High Commission in London, who pulled down a Tricolour on the premises.
The incident comes a day after the action to arrest pro-Khalistani leader Amritpal Singh.
On a Sunday, when government offices and embassies are closed, Christina Scott, deputy chief of the UK high commission in Delhi was summoned to the MEA at 10:30 pm. High Commissioner Alex Ellis was unavailable as he is travelling.
India also demanded an explanation for the "complete absence of British security" that allowed the Khalistani elements to enter the Indian High Commission premises.
India also said it finds “unacceptable the indifference of the UK Government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK”.
The statement also demanded that the perpetrators be immediately arrested and prosecuted and stringent measures be put in place to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.
Videos on social media showed a group of Khalistani supporters shouting pro-Khalistan slogans and waving Khalistani flags gathered outside the Indian High Commission. One from the group is seen clambering on the verandah of the Indian High Commission and removing the Indian flag, to cheering and shouting of Khalistani slogans by the crowd.
The MEA statement issued late in the night read: “The senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi was summoned late evening today to convey India’s strong protest at the actions taken by separatist and extremist elements against the Indian High Commission in London earlier in the day."
India lodges strong protest with UK.
— Arindam Bagchi (@MEAIndia) March 19, 2023
Press Release ➡️ https://t.co/Apz9tgy1Ki pic.twitter.com/PV2VyUw1Lt
As per the statement shared by MEA spokesperson Arindam Bagchi on Twitter, the foreign ministry said the diplomat was reminded of the basic obligations of the UK government under the Vienna Convention.
Soon after the attack on Indian High Commission in London, Metropolitan police were called to the building and began an investigation. Within hours, a man was arrested on suspicion of violent disorder.
British High Commissioner to India Alex Ellis described the incident as "disgraceful" and "totally unacceptable".
I condemn the disgraceful acts today against the people and premises of the @HCI_London - totally unacceptable.
— Alex Ellis (@AlexWEllis) March 19, 2023
Top Headlines
-
News
NEET-UG to shift to Computer-Based test mode from 2027, says Dharmendra Pradhan; experts welcome move
May 17, 2026
-
News
Blaze on Rajdhani Express sparks panic near Kota, passengers escape unhurt
May 17, 2026
-
News
Sona College of Technology launches Sona ChipIN Centre with latest semiconductor EDA tools
May 16, 2026
-
News
ECI announces third phase of SIR; Himachal, J&K, Ladakh excluded for now
May 14, 2026
-
News
Putin unleashes Satan 2: Russia tests ICBM with 35,000 km range
May 13, 2026
-
News
2 killed, 3 critically injured in multi-storey building fire in Kolkata's Tiljala
May 12, 2026
-
News
Who after Mamata in Bengal? Amit Shah to meet BJP MLA-elects ahead of May 9 oath
May 06, 2026
-
News
Mamata Banerjee refuses to 'resign', calls EC 'villain'
May 05, 2026
-
News
Bengal trends: BJP on course to form government
May 04, 2026
-
News
Bangladesh MP warns of refugee crisis if BJP wins West Bengal polls
May 01, 2026




