Govt approves additional compensation to 1984 anti-Sikh riot victims
New Delhi, Dec 11 (IBNS): The government finally approved a proposal to give an additional compensation of Rs. 5 lakh each to the kin of victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, media reports said.
The move was taken by the Union Cabinet at a meeting presided over by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday evening.
The anti-Sikh riots were triggered after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. She was Gandhi was shot dead by her Sikh bodyguards on October 31, 1984.
The announcement of the fresh compensation came ahead of the assembly elections in Delhi due early next year.
The proposal for an additional compensation to riot victims had already been cleared by the Union Home Ministry last month, reports said.
The fresh announcement of compensation will cost the exchequer Rs. 166 crore.
Out of the 3,325 victims in 1984 Sikh riots, 2,733 were killed in Delhi alone while the rest were from Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and other states.
Top Headlines
-
News
NEET-UG to shift to Computer-Based test mode from 2027, says Dharmendra Pradhan; experts welcome move
May 17, 2026
-
News
Blaze on Rajdhani Express sparks panic near Kota, passengers escape unhurt
May 17, 2026
-
News
Sona College of Technology launches Sona ChipIN Centre with latest semiconductor EDA tools
May 16, 2026
-
News
ECI announces third phase of SIR; Himachal, J&K, Ladakh excluded for now
May 14, 2026
-
News
Putin unleashes Satan 2: Russia tests ICBM with 35,000 km range
May 13, 2026
-
News
2 killed, 3 critically injured in multi-storey building fire in Kolkata's Tiljala
May 12, 2026
-
News
Who after Mamata in Bengal? Amit Shah to meet BJP MLA-elects ahead of May 9 oath
May 06, 2026
-
News
Mamata Banerjee refuses to 'resign', calls EC 'villain'
May 05, 2026
-
News
Bengal trends: BJP on course to form government
May 04, 2026
-
News
Bangladesh MP warns of refugee crisis if BJP wins West Bengal polls
May 01, 2026




